Importing JPEGs

Started by garystan, July 21, 2010, 07:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garystan


   Hi, everybody............
      Currently, I'm running the trial version of TFP/Version 15.   And, I think  I found a bug in the
      program.
          I've got a .jpeg file I wanted to import, via the Photo Board.  The program couldn't do it.
          I even did a  copy-and-paste from My Pictures to the Textures folder in TFP   Still
      wouldn't work.
          According to the HELP files, I should be able to import a  .jpeg,  .bmp,  or a  .targ file.
          The HELP files showing how to do it. 
          Either there IS a bug in the software,  or the instructions are incorrect.
          (Unless, being a trial version has something to do with it).
           If there is a bug in the software, maybe it's a good thing I found out now....before I
      paid the bucks for the full version .

                                                                                                              garystan

Allan Chesney

Hi Garystan,

Welcome to the forum!

I use photoboards continually and I have not come across any issues with using them. Maybe the instructions are not clear enough so you did not get it quite right although they appear to be quite correct to me.  The Trial version is the FULL product so it is not a limitation there.

You just said it didn't work - What actually happened? Where did you get to?
Can you outline the steps you took in simple terms? I presume you used the File/ Import/ Photoboard Wizard?
How big was the image? (not that it should matter as I have used so huge ones).

The photoboards do not go into your catalogue, they go into the model initially.  To add them to the photobaord images in the Catalogue you must go to File/ Catalogues/  Save Element to Catalogue then click on the image in the model - it will be added for use in future projects.

By the way, if you want to cut out the image (as in a tree for a garden view) then it must be BMP. JPG files will not reproduce the correct 'pink' colour that becomes transparent in the model - you will get a pink fringe around the tree.

The images below are nearly all photoboards, the house and most of the plants in the garden and ALL of the trees, plants, rocks etc on the terrain view, so it definitely works.

Allan
Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

Draft Patrick

Hi Garystan and welcome!  :)

As Allan stated, I didn't see this issue before

The problem happens just with one image in particular? did you try with other jpg files?

Can you post the image and a screenshot and a description of the problem?

Pat
Patrick Sullivan

garystan

 Mr. Chesney :

          I had a few .jpegs in MY PICTURES.   In  Turbo  I clicked on OBJECT WIZARD, then
I selected the category.   After that, I  "selected" the .jpeg from my folder.
          In the wizard dialog box, it displayed the  .jpeg.    I clicked on NEXT.   The instructions said to click on FINISH and I'd be able to place the  .jpeg in my floor plan (using the cursor).
          I had the  "view" set to  3D Camera.    I  "aimed" the camera at the wall where I wanted the  .jpeg to be placed.   
          All I saw was a  thin grey outline (I guess representing the  .jpeg)  near the floor.   I tried moving the cursor up to the wall (where I wanted to place it).   But the  "object"  didn't appear.    In fact the  .jpeg disappeared.
          I tried this several times,  figuring I didn't do it right.
          Maybe I was in the wrong mode ?    Maybe I should've been in  2D floor plan mode ?
*NOTE :   I found the website (www.3dvia.com) where they have  3ds objects to download.
   
          Anyway............your advice ?
                                                                                                            garystan                                                                                       

Allan Chesney

Hi garystan,

It is very difficult to place an imported object into position in 3D view. You may in fact have succeeded but it is so far in the distance that you cannot see it. If you Zoom to Extents in Plan view and find your model shrinks to a dot, then this likely is what has happened as it tries to fit the plan and the photoboard on the screen. If that happened, you will have to find the photoboard and move it close or delete and reinsert it.

If the plan displays as normal, then import the photoboard again but do it in plan view this time. It will only appear as a line but should be quite easy to position.

Allan
Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

Doug.S

another approach is to install a photoboard that has a stock image supplied by TFP....such as a dog, flag, etc. from the catalog,

then open that photoboard properties and replace the existing picture with yours...but note again that if you have transparency areas noted by pure magenta RGB color, that .jpg will not work well, use a .bmp file; .jpg usually includes some colors/fringes close to magenta but will show as magenta looking.

In fact, insert a photoboard from the catalog, and look at the image file (or find it in your PC folder of TFP materials)

look here:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\IMSIDesign\TURBOFloorPlan3D Home & Landscape PRO 15\Textures

and see how the images are generated...size, pixel count, .bmp etc.


Also note if you really just want a .jpg image with no transparency, apply the image as a texture on any object you want...like a catalog: wall picture with frame, rug, mirror, etc.