Roof issue - two story, shared roof line, gable not showing

Started by Bjorn, January 29, 2012, 04:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bjorn

I have an issue that I cannot seem to get around to solve on a two story house design.  I have made the roof line from the main floor continue seamless to the second floor (which works fine). However, at the back of the house, I have two roof lines (one for the main floor and one for the second floor) that starts at the same point but have different slopes creating a gable within a gable (common on many older homes).  My issue is that the wall (gable) for the second floor is not visible as the wall is auto extended to the roof line of the first floor.  Please see attached screen shots and building file.  Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated.  I am using version 14.0.C2.662 of Home & Landscape Deluxe.

Thank you,

Allan Chesney

Hi bjorn,

Have you tried just ticking the "Display Gable" box on the the gable ends that have thr problem?  You will have to select just that edge of the roof, tick the box, and change the Appearance of the Gable to the same brick. You may also want to set that wall so it is not Auto Extend, or the wall and Gable fill will overlap each other and you could get odd rendering issues.

Allan
Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

Bjorn

Allan,
Thank you for the tip on clicking the "Show Gable" feature.  It did improve the condition, but not solve it entirely.  There is still a piece of the wall missing that I can't correct.  It's not a big deal, but I just want to know if I missed someting or did something wrong in the design. 

Have anyone else came across this issue in the past or in the more recent releases of the software?


Best regards,
Bjorn

Allan Chesney

Hi Bjorn,

I have looked at your model a little closer and the reason you have a gap there, is that there is no actual wall there - so it cannot extend to the roof gable end.  If you extend the wall the angle will fill in. It may be that you do not want a wall inside up to that point in which case you need to fill the gap some other way - eg Extend the wall and use the Openings tool to 'cut that bit out' inside or insert another wall on another location to fill the gap (but you woud have to slope its top to follow the roof)

There are a few odd things happening in the model that I can't understand.  Some walls extend to the roof, some are only 6' high, some have been lowered by 2' from their Location setting and the upper floor seems to be in sections (Room Divisions for some reason maybe?). Two of these are in the vicinty of the missing section of wall in your gables so there may be another issue here.  No doubt there are some reasons for these things but I cannot work them out in the short time I have had to look at it.  Also one of the gable windows is only visible on the outside of the building but not inside as if there is a second wall there somewhere that is filling it in. Maybe you can throw some light on these things - if they causing you some problems.

Allan 
Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

Jack Zimmer

Hi Bjorn,

Check out the movie called 'Split Levels Discussed'

http://3dhousedesigns.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=31&Itemid=25   

I would have placed the 'upper roof' on the second level and then any walls drawn there would auto extend without a problem. As I understand, you created the roof on the first floor. That means the second floor walls will not recongnize the roof.

Jack

Bjorn

Allan,
Thank you for pointing out the wall and floor issues.  I realize now that the 6-ft wall and differences in how they extend were not needed after having watched the tutorial that Jack pointed at (thank you Jack for sharing the link).  I have also changed the model slightly to a (in my eyes) more aesthetically pleasing design, but the issue still exist though.  The reason for the wall being lowered 2-ft is to fill the gap due to the garage floor being lowered 2-ft, shown in picture #5.  Thinking about it now, should I use the

Allan Chesney

Hi Bjorn,

Quote from: bjorn on February 04, 2012, 09:36:24 AM
The reason for the wall being lowered 2-ft is to fill the gap due to the garage floor being lowered 2-ft, shown in picture #5.  Thinking about it now, should I use the
Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional