Texture problems - wall sized textures

Started by Rod, February 14, 2009, 04:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod

I have a problem aligning textures that are the same size as a wall.

I am reconstructing in 3D a ruined church for an archaeology project. I have stone-by-stone drawings of each wall elevation, and want to use these drawings to "wallpaper" each wall.

If the WALL is 10 feet high and 20 feet wide, I set the texture properties to match - I make the TEXTURE 10 feet high and 20 feet wide too. So when I apply the texture to a wall it fits the height and width perfectly (without any of those annoying "repeating tile" effects you get if you mis-size a texture). So far so good.

However, the problem is that on the 3D model my texture on the wall does not start where you would expect it to.

Instead of starting at the left hand edge of the wall, the texture starts, say, five feet to the right, and wraps the right hand side of the texture onto the left hand side of my wall.

"I know," you say, "adjust the texture position on the properties screen, and move the texture five feet to the left". Good idea - but it doesn't work! Surprisingly it doesn't make ANY difference to the position of the texture on the wall at all! (This facility only seems to work with aligning small "repeating" tiles).

I have tried deleting the texture and re-applying the adjusted texture.
I have tried deleting the wall, re-drawing it, and re-texturing it with the adjusted texture.
I have checked and double checked the dimensions of both wall and texture.

What I did notice however, was if I repositioned (MOVE) the WALL say five feet to the left, then the texture fits perfectly! (i.e. The texture stays in the same position, but the wall has moved). Unfortunately, that is no darn use to me, as my wall is now in the wrong place! And besides, it only fixes the problem on, say, the facing north and south walls. The east and west walls still have the same problem.

It seems there must be an invisible "origin point" on the building plot where all textures start so they can repeat (tile themselves). I know I could use photo boards, but this would only be a workaround, and does not solve the problem.

Has anyone else experienced this or knows of a solution, please? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks!
Sussex, UK
--
Using modules:
TurboFLOORPLAN 3D (v14)

Allan Chesney

Hi Rod,

Welcome to the Forum.

Sounds an interesting project to work on and challenging to you and the software!
I have never tried full wall textures so have not experienced this situation.  My first thought is to move the whole building and see if that fixes all of them at once.

Let us know how it goes.

Allan
Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

Doug.S

You can also try different ways the texture is applied....I don't have TFP handy....like flat, box, or ??? mode along with moving the texture.

You can also try making the texture map effectively 5 ft bigger with the texture still the correct size and rest of map as gray or white....maybe the gray area will be cutoff and your texture will start in the correct place with the offset.

It sounds like a global vs. local texture setting but I don't ever remember seeing that capability available in TFP like it is in most all other 3D programs.