Room Addition

Started by hotsauce, February 28, 2009, 01:26:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotsauce

Hi Folks

I have TFP version 12, which I had to put aside for about a year and am just now picking it up again. I have captured the basic outline of the existing house and then tried to draw a new room addition. However the estimates and cut lists all include the entire structure. Is there a way to tell it to just include a portion of the structure - namely just the room addition?

Thanks Much

Allan Chesney

Hi,

If you put your new room on a Location of its own, you will find it has a separate section in the Estimates etc.  If you are not sure how to create a new Location that is in the same model space, go to Settings/Building Locations - Choose the location where your original building is (Ground Floor presumably) then just click Add Location and give it a new (eg Addition).

Remember that for the program to recognise the outside walls as Exterior, the walls on the new location must be complete to make a room (not just 3 sides). Make the 4th wall thinner, so it sits inside the original one (Door will cut through both) or use the Room Divider tool to create an invisible wall. A third oprion is just to make sure you have the texture of the overlapping walls identical or you will see a mixture of the two in 3D.

Allan
Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

hotsauce

Outstanding Reply Allan - very informative and exactly what I needed. Thanks very much.

hotsauce

ooppsss - I spoke too soon... After creating a new location for the room addition and drawing it in making sure that there were four enclosing walls and that one of the walls overlayed a wall from the existing structure - I then immediately went to the views that show the roof lines. However, the room addition is shown with an independent roof that doesnt connect with the roof from the original structure. In fact the room addition's roof lines illogically cut into and through the walls of the original structure. I must be doing something wrong here but I am not sure what it is.

Allan Chesney

As I said the Locations are totally independent, so the roof is also. You will need to shape the roof so that it is the shape you would need to construct - possibly something like the one in the Log Cabin post in the General Discussion section of the Forum. This will then be included in the estimates, otherwise you could just extend the original roof.

In your estimates dont forget to allow for doubled-up, overlapping wall, unless you used the Room Divider.

Allan
Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional