Register

TurboFloorPlan 2019 is Shipping!!!

Input in either English or Metric - Auito Conversion to Specified format
Read 2861 times
* December 08, 2017, 04:07:48 PM
... in this multi-lingual world, how about being able to enter a number and have it act on a unit suffix.

If drawing is set to English Units, and I enter "200mm", "20cm", .. it will show me 7.874" on the drawing.

If I entered "200" and no suffix, then it's going to take that as 200" (inches) because thats what I've got the thing set to.

December 08, 2017, 08:25:27 PM
Hi there,

Not sure how a multilingual world is related with the setting and units systems of TurboFloorPlan.  ???
Let's clarify some concepts:
1 - The English system is not related with the English language => it is related with the measuring system used in US (for example). Centimeters are related with the Metric System used in Canada, South America, etc.
2 -  In TurboFloorPlan you can determine the settings, units and precision using the desired system => Go to Design => Options => Units of Measure => Select the desired Unit, precision, decimal or fraction. Then go to => Design => Options => Dimensioning and fonts => check / uncheck display unit indicators.
3 -  Note that if you select (for example) English System => Ft-in and you draw a custom wall with length= 200", the program will follow your instructions and the dimension will be expressed in  FT-in, this means that instead of 200", the program will write 16'-8"

TFP, as any program, has a learning curve. The best way to learn the program, IMO, is practice + practice + practice => Read and follow the manual (this is important), see the videos => try to create elements not related with your project, so you will become familiar with the commands and how to develop the different components.
If you are interested, I have several training e-books, one of them is free. See links below.

Hope this helps.

* December 10, 2017, 02:59:30 AM
Multi-lingual was a poor choice of words.

More specifically, to be able to enter a unit of measure value in -any- supported format and have it display on the current document according to the selected Unit of Measure for that document.

As an example, You're setting up the garage, you're going to install a vehicle lift, they give you specifications in Metric. You want to put a floor object down to represent the item.

I can enter '5m' and because my settings are English Units for that document, I'll see '196.875' on the drawing.

TurboCAD does it. But TFP does a whole lot more that you'd have to do manually with TurboCAD.

Ideally, the Superduper Platinum Version of IMSI Do It All 2018 would be just that .. but that's not likely .. so ..  ;D

December 10, 2017, 08:05:04 AM
Hi there,

Keep in mind that CAD programs are different from Home Design programs, because they are not just drawing programs, but BIM programs.

If you wish to insert dimensions like 5m, set the program in Metric System instead of English system (you can do it for all the project development or for just one instance)