Error message when rendering

Started by the cad man, May 24, 2012, 05:55:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the cad man

Guys...

Over the last two days as I've tried to render I get the following error message.  I've tried changing the time of day, location, sun direction, render quality... but always get the same message whether on basic or advanced render...any ideas what's going on?

Gaz
Garry Wilson
Adelaide, South Australia

HP i7, Windows 8
TURBOFloorPlan3D Home & Landscape PRO v16
ProArchitect
Envisioneer
TurboCAD PRO Platinum v20

Allan Chesney

Hi Garry,

If you are getting this on Basic and Advanced and moving the camera or sun position does not help, then I would be concerned that there is some form of corruption in the model - usually a bad wall join that it cannot resolve when rendering but can be other things or even imported objects.

The first thing I would try is File / Repair Project. Sometimes this will find the corrupt object and delete it. Sometimes it can be small and you will not see what vanished, but sometimes a wall may disappear - and sometimes nothing will happen. In the latter case you have to find the problem by close scrutiny of things, especially walls joins.  This has been covered a number of times so try the Search for Wall and Joins would be a good combination of words or even just the word 'corrupt', should find the suggestions on finding the corruption.

If you can't find anything, you may like to post the model here or email it to me if you prefer - alches(AT)iinet.net.au (replacing (AT) with @ of course) and I will have a look for you.

Allan
Allan Chesney,
Kalamunda, Perth, Western Australia
www.alchesdesigns.iinet.net.au

TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro V16.0.C1.901
Envisioneer Construction Suite V9.1.2.1234
TurboCAD V17 Professional

the cad man

Thanks Allan,

I eliminated one object at a time until the program would render and found it was an imported object...thank you.

Gaz
Garry Wilson
Adelaide, South Australia

HP i7, Windows 8
TURBOFloorPlan3D Home & Landscape PRO v16
ProArchitect
Envisioneer
TurboCAD PRO Platinum v20

Allan Chesney

Hi Garry,

Yes they can be a problem sometimes. I keep imports to a bare minimum for that reason, making the things I want within the program if I possibly can - which is 99% of the time. Helps with file size too.

Allan
Allan Chesney,

Jack Zimmer

Hi Gaz.

Rather than starting by deleting walls one at a time, you should just use the View Filter.

First option as Allan said would be to turn off walls, test render. If the error is still there you can turn off another layer. After finding the general layer problem, lets say it was a wall, you can delete 25% of them at a time until you find the general area. Then use Undo to get all the walls back, and start hunting for the one or two bad ones.

In this case turning off the layer that had the imported object would be the key.

Jack

Burgo

Jack & Allan, you may be able to help me on this one: when I try to execute a basic render the program crashes., ok in advance render, any clues?
See screen dump

Burgo

I tried basic render of a simpler drawing and the results are below. Any suggestions, advance render is fine.

Jack Zimmer

The advice is about the same as it was for GAZ. You will have to try the 'repair' option, then keep looking until you find what is 'corrupt'.

Jack

Burgo

Jack, the simple drawing consists of walls, roof and windows, so there should not be any corrupt parts. I tried the repair option but no results.

Allan Chesney

Hi Bob,

Does a new project, just 4 walls and a roof render OK? (or is that all you second image was? - try with a different wall/roof combination)

If it does it is obviously a problem in that model somewhere not the program or installation.

If you are talking about the model in the image earlier - I notice it has my (presumably) solar HWS on the roof. As it is an imported object, I would turn that off in the view filter and render again. If it works ,the imported object is causing the problem. It does not cause any problem for me but it is not even necessariy the object itself but maybe it is causing an issue with the roof - if it is breaking the surface of the roof for example.  Raise the HWS so it is not actually touching the roof - it may be OK that way. Turn off the roof in View Filter and render - that would prove that point.

If that proves to be OK I would start next with walls as they are most often where corruptions can occur. Turn off walls in the View filter and render - if it renders OK there IS a problem somewhere in the walls, usually at an interesection.

It is just a process of elimination to find where the problem is:  Hide something, render. If it still fails, turn that on again and  turn something else off and render again, and repeat the process until it does render Ok - what you currently have off that time is where the problem is.

Allan
Allan Chesney,

Burgo

Allan, thanks for the reply, maybe a silly question, why would advance rendering be ok and basic rendering a problem, I thought that it would be the other way around. I guess that if basic render continues to be a problem, one can always use advance rendering even though some what slower.
The simple building in the second post consists of walls, automatic fitted roof and standard windows, so it should have rendered ok.
I played around with your solar HWS in the first image, lifted it above the roof, turned off the filter and even deleted it, no joy. Program still crashes.
If there is a corruption problem in the drawing, why would it cause the TFP to crash. (ie TFP completely closes down). I would have thought that if there was a problem ,render may not work, but the TFP should not crash. Maybe I need to take this up with IMSI.

Doug.S

Have you tried renders using a TFP supplied example design...anyone will do...we know they are "problem" free???

Have you tried with h/w acceleration on vs. off?

Have you tried at different resolutions pxels x pixel size?

These may lead to more clues.

When you do advanced render OK, does it also follow with the basic/RT render also or is that option off? Tried both ways?

Oddly I too have had basic render take much longer than advanced render (icluding basic after adv was done)...seemingly no explanation.

Draft Patrick

There is a good explanation for the differences (in time and quality) between basic and advanced quality

The basic rendering is "muscle based" so it uses more raster resources, therefore your videocard must work in full force
The advanced rendering is more "inteligence based" so it uses more vector resources, therefore if you have a set (motherboard, chip, motherboard, memory), you will render without problems

Hope this helps

Pat
Patrick Sullivan

Burgo

Pat, thank you for the info, maybe you have hit the nail on the head, perhaps the video card is the problem as the computer is some 4 years old (top of the range when purchased) maybe time to invest in a new one. Rendering time with advanced level 3, 500 steps is just under 50 seconds, which is not bad for the age of the computer.
I tried Allan's suggestion to try a supplied sample and while TFP didn't crash basic rendering didn't work.

Jack Zimmer

If you zip and post the file, it can be tested. If it works for others , then you may have a problem with your computer.

One of the first things you should do if you suspect computer problem is to check for upgrade of your video card. I do renderings on a laptop that is quite old and while they are slower, it does both Basic and Advanced OK.

I have seen a Basic render fail and Advanced work. I don't know how the program actually calculates things but it has happened.

How is your memory? Computer that is. The first 'must close' error seems more memory related. But I'd check graphics card first if you don't find an error in the drawing. When it only partially renders most time it is a drawing error of some sort.

Can you get any Basic render to work?

Jack